Re: Performance Anomaly with "col in (A,B)" vs. "col = A OR col = B" ver. 9.0.3

От Timothy Garnett
Тема Re: Performance Anomaly with "col in (A,B)" vs. "col = A OR col = B" ver. 9.0.3
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Sam,

The purpose of this (framework generated) code is to find out if there is at least one row that has one of the selected hts_code_ids.  We don't care about anything that's returned other then whether at least one row exists or not (rewriting the query with EXISTS generates that same plan).  The actual selectivity can vary greatly anywhere from 0 to > 500k rows depending on the codes chosen.  On the higher end of the range a select count(*) takes ~14 times longer then a limit 1 query that does an index scan (~475ms vs. 36ms).

What we're doing now for the moment is putting a straight-jacket on the planner

begin ; set local enable_seqscan = off ; SELECT "exp_detls".id FROM "exp_detls" WHERE
("exp_detls"."hts_code_id" IN (...)) LIMIT 1;
commit ;

As even when the where clause selects a good fraction of the table seq_scan has highly variable performance because of the clustered index (depends on what was last selected out of the table), so we pretty much never want to use it (maybe the planner should be taking the cluster into consideration?).  What we'll probably move to is maintaining a table of ids that are present in that column and running the query against that as the above, while acceptable, can still be on the slow side when the where clause is not very selective and many rows are scanned in the index before the limit can be applied.  Would be nice if the bitmap index scan could be done piecemeal alternating with heap scan when a tight limit is present so not so much work has to be done, but I could see that being really problematic to implement and use.

Tim