Re: Does setval(nextval()+N) generate unique blocks of IDs?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Does setval(nextval()+N) generate unique blocks of IDs?
Дата
Re: Does setval(nextval()+N) generate unique blocks of IDs?  (Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> writes:
>>> I want to do this:
>>
>>>     select setval('object_id_seq', nextval('object_id_seq') + 1000, false);
>>
>>> Now suppose two processes do this simultaneously.  Maybe they're in
>>> transactions, maybe they're not.  Are they guaranteed to get distinct
>>> blocks of IDs?
>>
>> No, because the setval and the nextval are not indivisible.
>>
>>> Or is it possible that each will execute nextval() and
>>> get N and N+1 respectively, and then do setval() to N+1000 and N+1001,
>>> resulting in two overlapping blocks.
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>>> If the answer is, "This won't work," then what's a better way to do this?
>>
>> AFAIK the only way at the moment is
>>
>> * acquire some advisory lock that by convention you use for this sequence
>> * advance the sequence
>> * release advisory lock
>>
>> There have been previous discussions of this type of problem, eg
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-09/msg01031.php
>> but the topic doesn't seem to have come up quite often enough to
>> motivate anybody to do anything about it.  Your particular case could be
>> handled by a variant of nextval() with a number-of-times-to-advance
>> argument, but I'm not sure if that's enough for other scenarios.
>>
>>                         regards, tom lane
>
> So here's what I came up with.  I'm no PLPGSQL guru, but it seemed
> pretty straightforward.
>
> create or replace function nextval_block(bsize integer default 1)
>     returns bigint as $nextval_block$
>   declare
>     bstart bigint;
>   begin
>     perform pg_advisory_lock(1);
>     select into bstart nextval('my_seq');
>     perform setval('my_seq', bstart + bsize, false);
>     perform pg_advisory_unlock(1);
>     return bstart;
>   end;
> $nextval_block$ language plpgsql;

That seems unnecessarily complex.  how about this:

create sequence s;
select array_agg (a.b) from (select nextval('s') as b from
generate_series(1,1000)) as a;

Then you just iterate that array for the ids you need.