Re: [GENERAL] Materialized view vs. view

От Melvin Davidson
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Materialized view vs. view
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Materialized view vs. view  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Re: [GENERAL] Materialized view vs. view  (Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO, I disagree. I feel a better name would be "materialized
> table".

The dictionary defines "materialize" as meaning "become actual
fact" or "appear in bodily form".  In the database environment, it
generally means that the data is actually stored, rather than being
something which can be generated.  For example, in query execution
the relation produced by an execution node may feed into a
Materialize node if the generated relation is expected to be
scanned multiple times by a higher-level node and scanning a stored
copy of the relation each time is expected to be faster than
regenerating the relation each time.  "Materialized table" would be
redundant; a table is always materialized.  A view is data
generated by running a query. In the simple case, the resulting
relation is not stored, but is regenerated on each reference.  The
"materialized view" feature lets you materialize it, like a table.

If you don't think materializing data means storing a copy of it
for re-use, I'm not sure what you think it means.

This is not to beat up on you, but to try to keep terminology
clear, to facilitate efficient communication.  There are some terms
we have been unable to avoid using with different meanings in
different contexts (e.g., "serialization"); that's unfortunate, but
hard to avoid.  I want to keep it to the minimum necessary by
avoiding creep of other terms to multiple definitions.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet".
I have expressed my opinion. We are getting off the point of the topic which is "What is faster, a View or a Materialized View".
Can we all agree that the "Materialized View" should be faster and stop this pointless bickering about naming convention,
which I have already stated, is just an opinion and too late to change at this point?

--
Melvin Davidson

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Materialized view vs. view
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Materialized view vs. view