Re: Database encoding and collation

От Rodrigo Barboza
Тема Re: Database encoding and collation
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Rodrigo Barboza <rodrigombufrj@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi guys.
I created a database with default encoding (SQL_ASCII) and default collate (C).
I created a table test like this:
create table test (a varchar (10));
Then i executed "insert into teste (a) values ('áéç&ã','Æ','ß');

After that:
select * from test;
---------
 áéç&ã

Why did it stora correctly if those values are not ASCII?

Characters are interpreted and displayed by your terminal, not the Postgres system.  I suspect that you have language settings on whatever windowing system you use.  Postgres merely interprets the characters you send as a series of 8-bit bytes.  It's up to your display system to interpret them.  If you change your display terminal's language, I expect you'll see something different.

The language settings of Postgres don't change what is stored, only how it is interpreted (such as sorting).

Craig

I see.
When you say "Postgres merely interprets the characters you send as a series of 8-bit bytes", you meant for SQL_ASCII or every encoding?
Isn't sorting defined by collation?

Could I dump my database, create a new one with LATIN1 and restores?