Re: archive falling behind

От German Becker
Тема Re: archive falling behind
Дата
Re: archive falling behind
Список pgsql-admin
Here is the archive part of the config:

archive_mode = on               # allows archiving to be done
                                # (change requires restart)
archive_command = '/var/lib/postgresql/scripts/archive_copy.sh %p %f'           # command to use to archive a logfile segment
#archive_timeout = 0            # force a logfile segment switch after this
                                # number of seconds; 0 disables

The archive coommand makes a local copy and then it copies to the backup server via ssh. Both copies are md5-checked and retried up to 3 times in case of failure.

I have seen under heavy load that some WALs are skipped, some have less size, some are corrupted (i,e, the loop fails 3 times).
I'm not sure about the return value (checking it). What is the expected behaviour of the archiver? Will it retry de archive if archive command returns differnt than 0? Will it retain the WAL segment until it is succesfuly archived?

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
German Becker wrote:
> From my experience, postgres will delete WAL (after checkpoint) regardless if they have been archived.
> Are you saying this is abnormal?

That would be quite abnormal.
Could it be that your archive_command has exit status 0
even if something goes wrong?

What are the archive settings?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe