Re: PANIC during VACUUM

От German Becker
Тема Re: PANIC during VACUUM
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Just in case there are some errors in my first email, where it says "after deleting the context of the same big table" It should say "after deleting de contents of the same big table" I essence what i did is

DELETE from table;
VACUUM table;

And I got the error

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM, German Becker <german.becker@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for your reply. In which sense did I mess with the database files?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
German Becker wrote:
> I am testing version 9.1.9 before putting it in production. One of my tests involved deleting a the
> contents of a big table ( ~ 13 GB size) and then VACUUMing it. During VACUUM PANICS. Here is the
> message:
>
> PANIC:  corrupted item pointer: offset = 8128, size = 80
>

> I found the error a couple of times, allways during VACUUM after deleting the context of the same big
> table (after re-polpulating it of course).
>
> The error message is always *exactly* the same i.e. the same offset and size.
>
> When this happens the backend gets restarted and if I issue the same VACUUM command, I get the same
> error.
>
> I also tried triggering the backup server (hot-standby with streaming replication, and trying the
> VACUUM there (to see if it may be a hardware problem in the primary) and got the same issue.
>
> What might be causing this? Should I reported as a bug? Thanks!

If you mess with the database files, errors like this are to be expected.
The PANIC and restart is because the error happened during a sensitive phase.

This is not a bug.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe