Re: slow query - will CLUSTER help?

От Sergey Konoplev
Тема Re: slow query - will CLUSTER help?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Sev Zaslavsky <sevzas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/2013 3:34 PM, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Sev Zaslavsky <sevzas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Table rt_h_nbbo contains several hundred million rows.  All rows for a
>>> given
>>> entry_date are appended to this table in an overnight process every night
>>> -
>>> on the order of several million rows per day.
>>
>> Do you perform a regular cleaning of the table with DELETEs or may be
>> you use UPDATEs for some another reason?
>
> At this point we're neither deleting nor updating the data once written to
> the db.

Than I can see two reasons of the problem:

1. The indexed data is too big and index search is getting worth day by day

I would try to create a partial index for one day and repeat the
EXPLAIN ANALYZE with this day. If there will be some significant
improvements then I would start creating partial indexes for every new
day before it starts and drop them after some time when they became
obsolete.

2. You are limited with IO

I would also suggest you to upgrade your storage in this case.

--
Kind regards,
Sergey Konoplev

http://www.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp
+1 (415) 867-9984, +7 (901) 903-0499, +7 (988) 888-1979
gray.ru@gmail.com