Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases
Дата
Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases  ("Karl Nack" <karlnack@futurityinc.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Karl Nack <karlnack@futurityinc.com> wrote:
>> In LedgerSMB, we take this a step further by making the procedures
>> into discoverable interfaces, so the application logic itself is a
>> sort of thin glue between a UI layer and the database procedure layer.
>>  One thing I would suggest is to try to keep API calls as atomic as
>> possible.  You want to enforce consistency and so you need to have all
>> relevant inputs passed to the function.  See below for a suggested
>> change to your API.
>
> Would you say LedgerSMB follows the thick/fat database principle? If so,
> I shall have to spend some time with your source code. I'd be very
> curious to see how you handle this.

The current svn trunk (to be 1.3) does.  Older code in trunk or 1.2
follows the "survival" principle (we inherited one heck of a codebase
when we forked) :-).

>> > BEGIN;
>> > SELECT create_transaction(1, current_date, 'Transaction 1');
>> > SELECT create_line_item(1, 1, 50);
>> > SELECT create_line_item(1, 1, -50);
>> > END;
>>
>> Now, if you are doing double-entry bookkeeping this doesn't provide
>> enough consistency, IMO.  You can't check inside the function to
>> ensure that the transaction is balanced.
>
> Yes, but I'd implement the constraint "all transactions must balance" as
> a trigger that fires when the transaction is complete. This would
> enforce data integrity regardless of whether or not the database API is
> used, which I think is also important.

That's problematic to do in PostgreSQL because statement-level
triggers don't have access to statement args, and I don't believe they
can be deferred.   Note the GL stuff is not on the thick db system
yet, but we are working on it (for 1.4).

Here's an example:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION payment_bulk_post
(in_transactions numeric[], in_batch_id int, in_source text, in_total numeric,
    in_ar_ap_accno text, in_cash_accno text,
    in_payment_date date, in_account_class int, in_payment_type int,
        in_exchangerate numeric, in_curr text)
RETURNS int AS
$$
DECLARE
    out_count int;
    t_voucher_id int;
    t_trans_id int;
    t_amount numeric;
        t_ar_ap_id int;
    t_cash_id int;
        t_currs text[];
        t_exchangerate numeric;
BEGIN
    IF in_batch_id IS NULL THEN
        -- t_voucher_id := NULL;
        RAISE EXCEPTION 'Bulk Post Must be from Batch!';
    ELSE
        INSERT INTO voucher (batch_id, batch_class, trans_id)
        values (in_batch_id,
                (SELECT batch_class_id FROM batch WHERE id = in_batch_id),
                in_transactions[1][1]);

        t_voucher_id := currval('voucher_id_seq');
    END IF;

    SELECT string_to_array(value, ':') into t_currs
          from defaults
         where setting_key = 'curr';

        IF (in_curr IS NULL OR in_curr = t_currs[0]) THEN
                t_exchangerate := 1;
        ELSE
                t_exchangerate := in_exchangerate;
        END IF;

    CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE bulk_payments_in (id int, amount numeric);

    select id into t_ar_ap_id from chart where accno = in_ar_ap_accno;
    select id into t_cash_id from chart where accno = in_cash_accno;

    FOR out_count IN
            array_lower(in_transactions, 1) ..
            array_upper(in_transactions, 1)
    LOOP
        EXECUTE $E$
            INSERT INTO bulk_payments_in(id, amount)
            VALUES ($E$ || quote_literal(in_transactions[out_count][1])
                || $E$, $E$ ||
                quote_literal(in_transactions[out_count][2])
                || $E$)$E$;
    END LOOP;
    EXECUTE $E$
        INSERT INTO acc_trans
            (trans_id, chart_id, amount, approved, voucher_id, transdate,
            source, payment_type)
        SELECT id,
        case when $E$ || quote_literal(in_account_class) || $E$ = 1
            THEN $E$ || t_cash_id || $E$
            WHEN $E$ || quote_literal(in_account_class) || $E$ = 2
            THEN $E$ || t_ar_ap_id || $E$
            ELSE -1 END,
        amount * $E$|| quote_literal(t_exchangerate) || $E$,
        CASE
            WHEN $E$|| t_voucher_id || $E$ IS NULL THEN true
            ELSE false END,
        $E$ || t_voucher_id || $E$, $E$|| quote_literal(in_payment_date)
        ||$E$ , $E$ ||COALESCE(quote_literal(in_source), 'NULL') ||
        $E$ , $E$ || coalesce(quote_literal(in_payment_type), 'NULL') || $E$
        FROM bulk_payments_in  where amount <> 0 $E$;

    EXECUTE $E$
        INSERT INTO acc_trans
            (trans_id, chart_id, amount, approved, voucher_id, transdate,
            source, payment_type)
        SELECT id,
        case when $E$ || quote_literal(in_account_class) || $E$ = 1
            THEN $E$ || t_ar_ap_id || $E$
            WHEN $E$ || quote_literal(in_account_class) || $E$ = 2
            THEN $E$ || t_cash_id || $E$
            ELSE -1 END,
        amount * -1 * $E$|| quote_literal(t_exchangerate) || $E$,
        CASE
            WHEN $E$|| t_voucher_id || $E$ IS NULL THEN true
            ELSE false END,
        $E$ || t_voucher_id || $E$, $E$|| quote_literal(in_payment_date)
        ||$E$ , $E$ ||COALESCE(quote_literal(in_source), 'null')
        ||$E$ , $E$ || coalesce(quote_literal(in_payment_type), 'NULL') || $E$
        FROM bulk_payments_in where amount <> 0 $E$;

        IF in_account_class = 1 THEN
            EXECUTE $E$
                UPDATE ap
                set paid = paid + (select amount from bulk_payments_in b
                     where b.id = ap.id)
                 where id in (select id from bulk_payments_in) $E$;
        ELSE
            EXECUTE $E$
                UPDATE ar
                set paid = paid + (select amount from bulk_payments_in b
                     where b.id = ar.id)
                 where id in (select id from bulk_payments_in) $E$;
        END IF;
    EXECUTE $E$ DROP TABLE bulk_payments_in $E$;
    perform unlock_all();
    return out_count;
END;
$$ language plpgsql;

in_transactions is a n by 2 array of numeric values.  The first is an
integer representation of the invoice id to be paid.  The second is
the numeric amount to be paid on that invoice.  The temporary table
proved necessary because of cache misses when trying to loop through
the array when hundreds of  invoices were paid to one vendor.  The
code here is still far from ideal, as in the future we will probably
just query against the array using generate_series.

Hope this helps.
Chris Travers

Сообщение: Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases
Сообщение: Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases