Re: Confusing information in sections 8.5 and 9.9 (date and timetypes, functions and operators)

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Confusing information in sections 8.5 and 9.9 (date and timetypes, functions and operators)
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Friday, April 12, 2019, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Tue, Apr  9, 2019 at 02:50:14PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

I think
> this is a serious issue, especially because the alternative possibility of
> using ::timestamp is not even mentioned in chapters 8.5 or 9.9. If someone
> (like me) looks for specific information how to handle date & time literals,
> they will inevitably fall into the same trap.
> Since the experienced Syntax error is contrary to what one would expect
> after reading the SQL language manual, could you please at least add some
> hyperlink in both sections 8.5 and 9.9 to attract reader's attention to this
> specific behavior of the database server? Thank you.

We don't get this question very often.  I wonder if you didn't look at
the error message we generated, or if you could share the exact error
you saw.

See also:

The docs maybe aren’t great at covering this but they do, and correctly.  Though maybe a note saying “this works but you probably should use actual casts” would be warranted.  I personally have not found a need to use the “type” ‘literal’ syntax.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Confusing information in sections 8.5 and 9.9 (date and timetypes, functions and operators)
Сообщение: RE: Confusing information in sections 8.5 and 9.9 (date and timetypes, functions and operators)