Window functions, partitioning, and sorting performance

От Eli Naeher
Тема Window functions, partitioning, and sorting performance
Дата
Re: Window functions, partitioning, and sorting performance
Список pgsql-performance
I have a table called stop_event (a stop event is one bus passing one bus stop at a given time for a given route and direction), and I'd like to get the average interval for each stop/route/direction combination.

A few hundred new events are written to the table once every minute. No rows are ever updated (or deleted, except in development).

stop_event looks like this:

              Table "public.stop_event"
  Column   |            Type             | Modifiers
-----------+-----------------------------+-----------
 stop_time | timestamp without time zone | not null
 stop      | integer                     | not null
 bus       | integer                     | not null
 direction | integer                     | not null
 route     | integer                     | not null
Foreign-key constraints:
    "stop_event_direction_id_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (direction) REFERENCES direction(id)
    "stop_event_route_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (route) REFERENCES route(id)
    "stop_event_stop" FOREIGN KEY (stop) REFERENCES stop(id)

And my query looks like this:

SELECT (floor(date_part(E'epoch', avg(interval))) / 60)::INTEGER,
       route,
       direction,
       name,
       st_asgeojson(stop_location)::JSON
FROM
  (SELECT (stop_time - (lag(stop_time) OVER w)) AS interval,
          route,
          direction,
          name,
          stop_location
   FROM stop_event
   INNER JOIN stop ON (stop_event.stop = stop.id)
   WINDOW w AS (PARTITION BY route, direction, stop ORDER BY stop_time))
AS all_intervals
WHERE (interval IS NOT NULL)
GROUP BY route,
         direction,
         name,
         stop_location;

With around 1.2 million rows, this takes 20 seconds to run. 1.2 million rows is only about a week's worth of data, so I'd like to figure out a way to make this faster. The EXPLAIN ANALYZE is at http://explain.depesz.com/s/ntC.

Clearly the bulk of the time is spent sorting the rows in the original table, and then again sorting the results of the subselect. But I'm afraid I don't really know what to do with this information. Is there any way I can speed this up? Is my use of an aggregate key for stop_event causing problems? Would using a synthetic key help?

Thank you for any help you can provide,
-Eli