Re: Optimal settings for RAID controller - optimized for writes

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Optimal settings for RAID controller - optimized for writes
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Niels Kristian Schjødt
<nielskristian@autouncle.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm kind of a noob when it comes to setting up RAID controllers and tweaking them so I need some advice here.
>
> I'm just about to setup my newly rented DELL R720 12. gen server. It's running a single Intel Xeon E5-2620 v.2
processorand 64GB ECC ram. I have installed 8 300GB SSDs in it. It has an PERC H710 raid controller (Based on the LSI
SAS2208 dual core ROC).

> Now my database should be optimized for writing. UPDATEs are by far my biggest bottleneck.
>
> Firstly: Should I just put all 8 drives in one single RAID 10 array, or would it be better to have the 6 of them in
oneRAID 10 array, and then the remaining two in a separate RAID 1 array e.g. for having WAL log dir on it's own drives?

> Secondly: Now what settings should I pay attention to when setting this up, if I wan't it to have optimal write
performance(cache behavior, write back etc.)?

> THANKS!
>
> BTW i attached a screenshot of some of the settings I can alter:

AFAIK, There isn't too much to do here (outside of mapping drives to
the array).   The major question is about dedicating two drives for
WAL.   I would consider dedicating that much SSD storage for WAL to be
gross overkill -- disk drives are better suited for that task.  Which
model SSD are you using?

merlin

От: Venkata Balaji Nagothi
Сообщение: Re: Query taking long time
От: Eli Naeher
Сообщение: Help me understand why my subselect is an order of magnitude faster than my nested joins