Re: Intel 710 pgbench write latencies

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Intel 710 pgbench write latencies
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> A OCZ Vertex 2 PRO and Intel 710 SSD, both 100GB, in a software raid 1
> setup. I was pretty convinced this was the perfect solution to run
> PostgreSQL on SSDs without a IO controller with BBU. No worries for strange
> firmware bugs because of two different drives, good write endurance of the
> 710. Access to the smart attributes. Complete control over the disks:
> nothing hidden by a hardware raid IO layer.
>
> Then I did a pgbench test:
> - bigger than RAM test (~30GB database with 24GB ram)
> - and during that test I removed the Intel 710.
> - during the test I removed the 710 and 10 minutes later inserted it again
> and added it to the array.
>
> The pgbench transaction latency graph is here: http://imgur.com/JSdQd
>
> With only the OCZ, latencies are acceptable but with two drives, there are
> latencies up to 3 seconds! (and 11 seconds at disk remove time) Is this due
> to software raid, or is it the Intel 710? To figure that out I repeated the
> test, but now removing the OCZ, latency graph at: http://imgur.com/DQa59
> (The 12 seconds maximum was at disk remove time.)
>
> So the Intel 710 kind of sucks latency wise. Is it because it is also
> heavily reading, and maybe WAL should not be put on it?
>
> I did another test, same as before but
> * with 5GB database completely fitting in RAM (24GB)
> * put WAL on a ramdisk
> * started on the mirror
> * during the test mdadm --fail on the Intel SSD
>
> Latency graph is at: http://imgur.com/dY0Rk
>
> So still: with Intel 710 participating in writes (beginning of graph), some
> latencies are over 2 seconds, with only the OCZ, max write latencies are
> near 300ms.
>
> I'm now contemplating not using the 710 at all. Why should I not buy two
> 6Gbps SSDs without supercap (e.g. Intel 510 and OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS) with
> a IO controller+BBU?
>
> Benefits: should be faster for all kinds of reads and writes.
> Concerns: TRIM becomes impossible (which was already impossible with md
> raid1, lvm / dm based mirroring could work) but is TRIM important for a
> PostgreSQL io load, without e.g. routine TRUNCATES? Also the write endurance
> of these drives is probably a lot less than previous setup.

software RAID (mdadm) is currently blocking TRIM.  the only way to to
get TRIM in a raid-ish environment is through LVM mirroring/striping
or w/brtfs raid (which is not production ready afaik).

Given that, if you do use software raid, it's not a good idea to
partition the entire drive because the very first thing the raid
driver does is write to the entire device.

I would keep at least 20-30% of both drives unpartitioned to leave the
controller room to wear level and as well as other stuff.  I'd try
wiping the drives, reparititoing, and repeating your test.  I would
also compare times through mdadm and directly to the device.

merlin