Re: Could synchronous streaming replication really degrade the performance of the primary?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Could synchronous streaming replication really degrade the performance of the primary?
Дата
Re: Could synchronous streaming replication really degrade the performance of the primary?
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:06 AM, MauMau <maumau307@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've heard from some people that synchronous streaming replication has
> severe performance impact on the primary. They said that the transaction
> throughput of TPC-C like benchmark (perhaps DBT-2) decreased by 50%. I'm
> sorry I haven't asked them about their testing environment, because they
> just gave me their experience. They think that this result is much worse
> than some commercial database.

I can't speak for other databases, but it's only natural to assume
that tps must drop.  At minimum, you have to add the latency of
communication and remote sync operation to your transaction time.  For
very short transactions this adds up to a lot of extra work relative
to the transaction itself.

merlin