Re: Weird problem that enormous locks

От Tony Wang
Тема Re: Weird problem that enormous locks
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 18:50, Radosław Smogura <rsmogura@softperience.eu> wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:36:19 +0800, Tony Wang wrote:

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 15:33, Radoslaw Smogura  wrote:

Radoslaw Smogura
(mobile)
-------------------------
From: Tony Wang
Sent: 15 lipca 2011 03:51
To: Scott Marlowe
Cc: PostgreSQL

Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Weird problem that enormous locks

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 08:22, Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 01:13, Scott Marlowe

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Tony Wang wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 10:35, John R Pierce
>> > wrote:
> Its a game server, and the queries are updating users money,
as
> normal.
> The sql is like "UPDATE player SET money = money + 100 where
id =
>> > 12345".
> The locks were RowExclusiveLock for the table "player" and
the indexes.
> The
> weird thing is there was another ExclusiveLock for the table
"player",
>> > i.e.
> "player" got two locks, one RowExclusiveLock and one
ExclusiveLock.
> In the postgresql documentation

(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/explicit-locking.html
[5]), its

>> > said
> about the  Exclusive "This lock mode is not automatically
acquired on
> user
> tables by any PostgreSQL command."

You need to figure out what part of your app, or maybe a rogue
>> developer etc is throwing an exclusive lock.

Yeah, thats what Im trying to do

Cool.  In your first post you said:

select pg_class.relname, pg_locks.mode, pg_locks.granted,
pg_stat_activity.current_query, pg_stat_activity.query_start,
pg_stat_activity.xact_start as transaction_start,
age(now(),pg_stat_activity.query_start) as query_age,
> age(now(),pg_stat_activity.xact_start) as transaction_age,
pg_stat_activity.procpid from pg_stat_activity,pg_locks left
outer join pg_class on (pg_locks.relation = pg_class.oid) where
pg_locks.pid=pg_stat_activity.procpid and
> substr(pg_class.relname,1,3) != pg_ order by query_start;

The only special thing I can find is that there were a lot
ExclusiveLock, while its normal the locks are
only AccessShareLock and RowExclusiveLock.

So what did / does current_query say when its happening?  If it
says
you dont have access permission then run that query as root when
it
happens again.

As I said, its normal update like "UPDATE player SET money = money +

100 WHERE id=12345", but there are quite many

Links:
------
[1] mailto:wwwjfy@gmail.com
[2] mailto:scott.marlowe@gmail.com
[3] mailto:wwwjfy@gmail.com
[4] mailto:pierce@hogranch.com
[5] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/explicit-locking.html
[6] mailto:scott.marlowe@gmail.com
[7] mailto:rsmogura@softperience.eu
Actually I don't know what pool You use (I think PHP - I don't know much about this), but I imagine following, If You don't use auto commit or commit:
1. User A updates moneys, gets connections C1, locks his row, no commit
2. User A updates moneys again, gets connection C2, but C1 still holds lock.
Regards,
Radosław Smogura

Any connection pool behaves similarly. The connection C1 surely will be committed and returned after the operation finished. Having said that, the ONLY possible reason is some transactions hanged holding the locks, and cause others cannot work any more, and the "ExclusiveLock" is not a problem, right?
The interesting thing is, I didn't find any timeout/exception after the "lock" period ended in postgresql log, only long query time.

От: Radosław Smogura
Сообщение: Re: Weird problem that enormous locks
От: Tony Wang
Сообщение: Re: Weird problem that enormous locks