Re: Table symbolic link

От Craig James
Тема Re: Table symbolic link
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
begin;
alter table foo rename to bar;
create view foo as select * from bar;
commit;

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu> wrote:

PostgreSQL 9.5.x

I have 16 web applications using a single database.  Some of the tables in the database are used by many of the applications.  I wanted to rename a particular table.  The issue is that I would have to change every application then stop all the applications and then redeploy them after renaming the table to the new name.

The better strategy would be to rename the table to the new name and add a symbolic table that link to the new table name.  Then as I make changes to each application I can point them to the new name.  Maybe in a year I could delete the symbolic table name.

Is this possible?  I have not seen a symbolic table name feature but I thought I would ask.

If this is not currently possible it might be something to consider adding.

Thanks,

Lance

Web Services @ University of Illinois

--