Re: ZFS vs. UFS

От Craig James
Тема Re: ZFS vs. UFS
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 24/07/2012 14:51, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

>   Hello,
>
> Under FreeBSD 9, what filesystem should I use for PostgreSQL? (Dell
> PowerEdge 2900, 24G mem, 10x2T SATA2 disk, Intel RAID controller.)
>
>  * ZFS is journaled, and it is more independent of the hardware. So if
>    the computer goes wrong, I can move the zfs array to a different server.
>  * UFS is not journaled. Also I have to rely on the RAID card to build
>    the RAID array. If there is a hw problem with it, then I won't be
>    able to recover the data easily.
>
> I wonder if UFS has better performance or not. Or can you suggest
> another fs? Just of the PGDATA directory.

Relying on physically moving a disk isn't a good backup/recovery strategy.  Disks are the least reliable single component in a modern computer.  You should figure out the best file system for your application, and separately figure out a recovery strategy, one that can survive the failure of *any* component in your system, including the disk itself.

Craig

Сообщение: Re: Heavy inserts load wile querying...
Сообщение: Re: Heavy inserts load wile querying...