Re: pl/pgsql functions outperforming sql ones?

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: pl/pgsql functions outperforming sql ones?
Дата
Re: pl/pgsql functions outperforming sql ones?
Список pgsql-performance
2012/1/27 Carlo Stonebanks <stonec.register@sympatico.ca>:
> Yes, I did test it  - i.e. I ran the functions on their own as I had always
> noticed a minor difference between EXPLAIN ANALYZE results and direct query
> calls.
>
> Interesting, so sql functions DON'T cache plans? Will plan-caching be of any
> benefit to SQL that makes no reference to any tables? The SQL is emulating
> the straight non-set-oriented procedural logic of the original plpgsql.

It is not necessary usually - simple SQL functions are merged to outer
query - there are e few cases where this optimization cannot be
processed and then there are performance lost.

For example this optimization is not possible (sometimes) when some
parameter is volatile

Regards

Pavel Stehule

Сообщение: Re: Postgress is taking lot of CPU on our embedded hardware.
Сообщение: Re: Postgress is taking lot of CPU on our embedded hardware.