Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?

От Denish Patel
Тема Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Payal is right. You don't need WAL for Cold backup.

my 2 cents.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2013, at 11:07, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
>
> After I rsync the postgres data directory, do I need the WAL files from the source (they're on a separate disk, not part of the postgres data directory)?  Can/should  I erase the WAL directory of the destination?

Yes, you need the WAL files.

Now I have two directly conflicting answers.  You say the WAL files are needed even though the DB is shut off, and Payal Singh says I don't need the WAL files (but I don't think he cc'd the mailing list).

Why are the WAL files necessary if the DB is shut off?  Why can't they just be erased?

It's a gigabyte of copying that I was hoping to avoid.

Craig

--
Denish Patel,
OmniTi Computer Consulting Inc.

Сообщение: Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?
Сообщение: Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?