Re: Performance of complicated query

От Jonathan Morra
Тема Re: Performance of complicated query
Дата
Re: Performance of complicated query
Список pgsql-performance
Ultimately I'm going to deploy this to Heroku on a Linux machine (my tests have so far indicated that Heroku is MUCH slower than my machine), but I wanted to get it fast on my local machine first.  I agree with your role partitioning, however, this is only a dev machine.

For the sum vs. last, the idea is that each patient is issued a device and reads are recorded.  The nature of the reads are that they are incremental, so if a patient never changes devices there is no need for a sum.  However, patients will be changing devices, and the patient_device table records when each patient had a given device.  What I want to sum up is the total value for a patient regardless of how many times they changed devices.  In order to do this I have to sum up just the values of the last read for each device a patient was assigned to.  This leads to the WHERE clause, WHERE read_datetime = max_read, and hence I'm only summing the last read for each device for each patient.  Ultimately I want to report the values listed in the outer select for each patient.  I will use these values to run other queries, but those queries are currently very quick (< 50ms) and so I'm not worried about them now.