Re: Some performance testing?

От Przemysław Deć
Тема Re: Some performance testing?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Maybe you will find time to benchamark xfs vs ext4 (with and without journaling enabled on ext4).

Nice comparison also could be rhel 6.5 with its newest kernel 2.6.32-X vs RHEL 7.0 and kernel 3.10.

I was looking for some guidance what to choose and there is very poor information about such things.

--
Przemysław Deć
Senior Solutions Architect

Maybe you will find time to benchamark xfs vs ext4 (with and without journaling enabled on ext4).

Nice comparison also could be rhel 6.5 with its newest kernel 2.6.32-X vs RHEL 7.0 and kernel 3.10.

I was looking for some guidance what to choose and there is very poor information about such things.

--
Przemysław Deć
Senior Solutions Architect
Linux Polska Sp. z o.o

It would be interesting to get raw performance benchmarks in addition to
PG specific benchmarks. I’ve been measuring raw I/O performance of a few
of our systems and run the following tests as well:

1. 10 runs of bonnie++
2. 5 runs of hdparm -Tt
3. Using a temp file created on the SSD, dd if=tempfile of=/dev/null bs=1M
count=1024 && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches; dd
if=tempfileof=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
4. Using phoronix benchmarks -> stream / ramspeed / compress-7zip

I was curious to measure the magnitude of difference between HDD -> SSD. I
would expect significant differences between SSD -> PCI-E Flash.

I’ve included some metrics from some previous runs vs. different types of
SSDs (OWC Mercury Extreme 6G which is our standard SSD, an Intel S3700
SSD, a Samsung SSD 840 PRO) vs. some standard HDD from  Western Digital
and HGST. I put in a req for a 960Gb Mercury Excelsior PCI-E SSD which
hasn’t yet materialized ...

Thanks, M.

Mel Llaguno • Staff Engineer – Team Lead
Office: +1.403.264.9717 x310
www.coverity.com <http://www.coverity.com/> • Twitter: @coverity
Coverity by Synopsys