Re: Easy form of "insert if it isn't already there"?

От Bartosz Dmytrak
Тема Re: Easy form of "insert if it isn't already there"?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Yes it is.
You can implement trigger on table to check if inserted record is new. Still it is on DB side.
I don't know PHP well enough but I think You can call function e.g. SELECT myschema."InsertWhenNew" ("val1", "val2", "val3"); in the same way as You call INSERTS

Regards,
Bartek

2012/2/15 Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com>
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak@eranet.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
> similar topic is in NOVICE mailing
> list: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2012-02/msg00034.php
>
> e.g. You can use BEGIN... EXCEPTION.... END, good example of
> such approach is
> there: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-UPSERT-EXAMPLE;

Ah, thanks for that!

Currently the query is a single PHP pg_query_params() call, and it's
inside a larger transaction. By the look of it, this requires writing
a function to do the job, rather than embedding the logic straight
into the query - is this correct?

ChrisA