Re: version controlling postgresql code

От akp geek
Тема Re: version controlling postgresql code
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks all. We will stick with CVS then. Thanks again

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Greg Williamson <gwilliamson39@yahoo.com> wrote:
akp geek  asked:

>         Would like to know if any one of you have used CVS or some other version controlling tools to version the postgres code? Any recommendations? Appreciate your help

I used CVS at previous jobs.

Currently the place I work uses git and a set of rules for programmers who create DDL changes, including rollback options (such as renaming columns to dropme_xxx instead of simply dropping them outright in the first change set).

The SQL files are checked in with a timestamp which controls the order of updates when we apply them to runtime.

I've had unpleasant experiences with commercial tools; CVS works well for simple environments and git can be used for more tangled development work.

HTH,

Greg Williamson