Re: How can sort performance be so different

От Bob Jolliffe
Тема Re: How can sort performance be so different
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Peter

I did check out using ICU and the performance does indeed seem
comparable with C locale:

EXPLAIN ANALYZE select * from chart order by name COLLATE "lo-x-icu";
                                                    QUERY PLAN
 Sort  (cost=1470.65..1504.24 rows=13436 width=1203) (actual
time=82.752..85.723 rows=13436 loops=1)
   Sort Key: name COLLATE "lo-x-icu"
   Sort Method: quicksort  Memory: 6253kB
   ->  Seq Scan on chart  (cost=0.00..549.36 rows=13436 width=1203)
(actual time=0.043..12.634 rows=13436 loops=1)
 Planning time: 1.610 ms
 Execution time: 96.060 ms
(6 rows)

The Laos folk have confirmed that the sort order with C locale was not
correct.  So setting the ICU locale seems to be the way forward.

The problem is that this is a large java application with a great
number of tables and queries.  Also it is used in 60+ countries not
just Laos.  So we cannot simply modify the queries or table creation
scripts directly such as in the manner above.  I was hoping the
solution would just be to set a default locale on the database
(perhaps even und-x-icu) but I see now that this doesn't seem to be
currently possible with postgresql 10 ie. set the locale on database
creation to a *-icu locale.

Is this also a limitation on postgresql 11?  (Upgrading would be possible)

Any other workarounds worth trying?  The magnitude of this issue is
significant - 1000x slower on these basic sorts is crippling the
application, probably also in a number of other queries.

Regards
Bob