Re: [GENERAL] migrate Sql Server database to PostgreSql

От William Ivanski
Тема Re: [GENERAL] migrate Sql Server database to PostgreSql
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi,

At the company we work for, we migrated from Oracle to PostgreSQL "community edition". We have no regrets. PostgreSQL allowed us to expand, we configured it so now we have a better performance compared to before, and we even have streaming replication to mirror our main database.

By the way, to perform the migration from Oracle to PostgreSQL we used OmniDB [1], an open source web tool for database management and migration, written by ourselves. OmniDB supports many well-known RDBMS system, among them Oracle, PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server.

However, OmniDB can only migrate tables, data, indexes, unique constraints, primary and foreign keys. In our case, we had hundreds of procedures and functions, and they were manually translated.

[1] http://www.omnidb.com.br/en_index.aspx