Re: documentation for hashtext?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: documentation for hashtext?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 13:20, Massa, Harald Armin <chef@ghum.de> wrote:
> hello,
> just tried to lookup the documentation of hashtext.
> And I did not find it by:
> a) searching the online docs with the integrated searchengine
> b) reading through the chapter 9 "functions and operators"
>    -> within string functions, there is md5(string), but not hashtext.
> c) searching postgresql.org with google
>  -> leads to some mailing-list discussions about hashtext in comparison to
> md5
> Am I searching wrong or is the documentation in fact missing?

I believe it's considered an internal function, and not one to rely
on. If you search the archives, you will find reports around a version
upgrade when it changed the output for a certain input and thus broke
things for those using it as partitioning key in for example plproxy.
IIRC (but I'm too lazy to lookup the discussion right now) the
conclusion was that it's not documented because it's internal and
you're not supposed to use/rely on it.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/