Re: after 9.2.4 patch vacuumdb -avz not analyzing all tables

От Mike Broers
Тема Re: after 9.2.4 patch vacuumdb -avz not analyzing all tables
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Looks like psql> vacuum (verbose, analyze) is not reflecting in pg_stat_user_tables as well in some cases.  In this scenario I run the command, it outputs all the deleted pages etc (unlike the vacuumdb -avz analyze that seemed to be skipped in the log), but it does not update pg_stat_user_tables.  Thats probably expected based on the description previously reported, but I wanted to confirm what I was seeing.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does this behavior only affect the 9.2 branch? Or was it ported
> to 9.1 or 9.0 or 8.4 as well?

After leaving it on master for a while to see if anyone reported
problems in development, I back-patched as far as 9.0 in time for
the 9.2.3 (and related) patches.  Prior to that the code was too
different for it to be the same patch, and (perhaps not entirely
coincidentally) I had not seen the problems before 9.0.  From 9.0
on I have seen multiple sites (all using queuing from Slony or a
JMS implementation) with recurring problems when the queue
temporarily got large, shrank again, and then wrapped around to the
beginning of the table's file space.  In some cases performance was
so impaired that when such an event was triggered they would shut
down their application until a manual VACUUM could be run.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company