My humble tribute to psql -- usql v0.5.0

От Kenneth Shaw
Тема My humble tribute to psql -- usql v0.5.0
Дата
Re: My humble tribute to psql -- usql v0.5.0
Список pgsql-general
Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this is somewhat off-topic, but I thought I
would inform the people (ie, psql users) about usql, a
universal-command line tool that aims to work the same way psql does,
but with every database (not just PostgreSQL).

usql is built in Go, and as of today supports all the major databases
(PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite3, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Database)
and more! Additionally, with v0.5.0, released today, usql now has
implemented most of the basic, and much of the advanced features of
psql:

* Interpolated variables (ie, via \set, \unset, etc.)
* Backslash commands, and similar shell escapes/evaluation (ie, \echo
`date` style)
* Working with a query buffer (ie, \e, \p, \r, etc.)
* Password (.usqlpass) / RC (.usqlrc) files

If you happen to have a Go tool chain installed, you can simply install with:

    go get -u github.com/knq/usql

Alternatively, you may download a binary release for Windows/Linux/OSX here:

    https://github.com/knq/usql/releases

I just released usql v0.5.0 and feel that it is now ready for a wider
audience, and I thought what better audience than those already
familiar with the type/style of cli interface psql offers. I'm hoping
that there are those of you on this list that might like to have a
tool in their toolbox that works with every other database in a
similar way to how psql does.

Over the last 15 years that I've been a heavy PostgreSQL user, and I
have likely used the psql command line for -- literally -- thousands
of hours! Over that same period of time, I have continually found
myself needing to reread documentation for all the various cli clients
out there. usql is the tool I wish I had 10+ years ago.

I built usql primarily due to my frustration with having to work with
5 different, broken CLI interfaces for all the different/major
databases on a relatively routine basis. I am posting this here,
because I imagine many of the other users on this list on occasion
have had, on occasion, needed to work with other databases, but are
stymied/annoyed/stopped/frustrated-to-no-ends with having to use
multiple, incompatible clients.

At least now, while you might be forced to use some other, inferior
database, at least you can still hit the ground running. I appreciate
any feedback/questions/etc you might have!

And thank you all to the PostgreSQL + psql developers out there! Don't
forget that imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery ...
cheers!

-Ken

(ps: usql is brand new; it's great for doing many common tasks, minor
to medium sized database administration tasks and development at the
moment; in time, it'll be ready for anything, but CAVEAT USER until
then ...)