Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql and github

От Poul Kristensen
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql and github
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dear friends,

The reason I posted this:

For the last 6 months I have noticed the enormous numbers of github's raising on the Internet.
For the last 10 years I have worked with Oracle(yes expensive)and Postgresql(from version 8.4!) and I am familiar conserning the _big_
difference between the to database environments. Good and not so good. Administration well Oracle is easier because of
the instance/backup/restore(point in time) crontrolled by itselr.  Postgresql does not have that kind of stuff - I mean backup/restore(pointin time
controlled by _itself_. But it is free and free of charge. But is not 24/7 when upgrading.
Therefore:
To make administration easier for your customers I suggest to establish a  github with different possibilites, showing how to upgrade minor/major
in 24/7 enviroments especially the restore(point in time) as a "build in" method liek Oracle'srman. I have been told by a consultant that
pgBackRest is recommended. But it is not buildin in the way Oracle's rman. Sorry if i got out of the scope of my mail. And sorry for my demands.:)
BTW: why are PG databases visible by all users (prompt: \l)

Thanks
Poul

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 9:37 AM, Poul Kristensen <bcc5226@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> No it isn't.
>
> What I want to do is:
>
> ansible-playbook   somepostgresql.yml
>
> and postgresql is then changed on some server
> the way things are done by e.g.
> github.com/oravirt/ansible-oracle

You're looking for help with an Ansible recipe, not with anything to do with PostgreSQL itself.

Mentioning it here, in case someone already has one, is worth a try but you're likely going to need to go talk to the Ansible people. Or write your own.

Cheers,
  Steve