Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 8:12 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 3:21 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have come up with the POC for approach (a).
> >
> > The idea is
> > 1) Before launching the worker divide the current VacuumCostBalance
> > among workers so that workers start accumulating the balance from that
> > point.
> > 2) Also, divide the VacuumCostLimit among the workers.
> > 3) Once the worker are done with the index vacuum, send back the
> > remaining balance with the leader.
> > 4) The leader will sum all the balances and add that to its current
> > VacuumCostBalance.  And start accumulating its balance from this
> > point.
> >
> > I was trying to test how is the behaviour of the vacuum I/O limit, but
> > I could not find an easy way to test that so I just put the tracepoint
> > in the code and just checked that at what point we are giving the
> > delay.
> > I also printed the cost balance at various point to see that after how
> > much I/O accumulation we are hitting the delay.  Please feel free to
> > suggest a better way to test this.
> >
> > I have printed these logs for parallel vacuum patch (v30) vs v(30) +
> > patch for dividing i/o limit (attached with the mail)
> >
> > Note: Patch and the test results are attached.
> >

> Thank you!
>
> For approach (a) the basic idea I've come up with is that we have a
> shared balance value on DSM and each workers including the leader
> process add its local balance value to it in vacuum_delay_point, and
> then based on the shared value workers sleep. I'll submit that patch
> with other updates.

I think it would be better if we can prepare the I/O balance patches
on top of main patch and evaluate both approaches.  We can test both
the approaches and integrate the one which turned out to be good.

Note that, I will be away next week, so I won't be able to review your
latest patch unless you are planning to post today or tomorrow.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Сообщение: RE: Fix of fake unlogged LSN initialization
Сообщение: RE: Fix of fake unlogged LSN initialization