Re: os upgrade 7.3 to 7.5 (postgres version 10.5)

От Prakash Ramakrishnan
Тема Re: os upgrade 7.3 to 7.5 (postgres version 10.5)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks for the information. So we can upgrade the os right thomas

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019, 09:39 Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 2:47 PM Prakash Ramakrishnan
<prakash.ramakrishnan.ap@nielsen.com> wrote:
> We are planned to upgrade the os version rhel 7.3 to 7.5 and now currently postgresql community version in 10.5 and there is some extensions working in database need your inputs if we upgrade the os mean it will impact anything in current settings and extensions please do the needful.Thanks in advance.

One thing to look into when upgrading the OS is libc changes that
might affect collations.  I don't have specific information on the
glibc versions that ship with 7.3 and 7.5 and which collations might
have changed.  Unfortunately the compatibility of collation
definitions is not directly exposed to us (something I'd personally
really like to fix, somehow) so we don't have great information about
when you need to run REINDEX on your btrees.  The word on the street
is, for example, that glibc 2.28 corrupts indexes even for English
language collations (because the sort order of ' ', '-' and some other
symbols moved around), and other versions have affected individual
particular languages (I forget which one corrupted German language
indexes a few years back).  It'll probably just work, though.

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com