Re: HDD vs SSD without explanation

От Neto pr
Тема Re: HDD vs SSD without explanation
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Thanks all, but I still have not figured it out.
This is really strange because the tests were done on the same machine
(I use  HP ML110 Proliant 8gb RAM - Xeon 2.8 ghz processor (4
cores), and POSTGRESQL 10.1.
- Only the mentioned query running at the time of the test.
- I repeated the query 7 times and did not change the results.
- Before running each batch of 7 executions, I discarded the Operating
System cache and restarted DBMS like this:
(echo 3> / proc / sys / vm / drop_caches;

discs:
- 2 units of Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB (mounted on ZERO RAID)
- 2 SATA 7500 Krpm HDD units - 1TB (mounted on ZERO RAID)

- The Operating System and the Postgresql DBMS are installed on the SSD disk.

Best Regards
[ ]`s Neto

>>> I would second the analysis above - unless you see your read MB/s slammed
>>> up
>>> against 580-600MB/s contunuously then the interface speed is not the
>>> issue.
>>> We have some similar servers that we replaced 12x SAS with 1x SATA 6
>>> GBit/s
>>> (Intel DC S3710) SSD...and the latter way outperforms the original 12 SAS
>>> drives.
>>>
>>> I suspect the problem is the particular SSD you have - I have benchmarked
>>> the 256GB EVO variant and was underwhelmed by the performance. These
>>> (budget) triple cell nand SSD seem to have highly variable read and write
>>> performance (the write is all about when the SLC nand cache gets
>>> full)...read I'm not so sure of - but it could be crappy chipset/firmware
>>> combination. In short I'd recommend *not* using that particular SSD for a
>>> database workload. I'd recommend one of the Intel Datacenter DC range
>>> (FWIW
>>> I'm not affiliated with Intel in any way...but their DC stuff works
>>> well).
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Mark
>>
>> Hi Mark
>> In other forums one person said me that on samsung evo should be
>> partition aligned to 3072 not  default 2048 , to start on erase block
>> bounduary .  And fs block should be 8kb. I am studing this too. Some
>> DBAs have reported in other situations that the SSDs when they are
>> full, are very slow. Mine is 85% full, so maybe that is also
>> influencing. I'm disappointed with this SSD from Samsung, because in
>> theory, the read speed of an SSD should be more than 300 times faster
>> than an HDD and this is not happening.
>>

> Interesting - I didn't try changing the alignment. However I could get the
> rated write and read performance on simple benchmarks (provided it was in a
> PCIe V3 slot)...so figured it was ok with the default aligning. However once
> more complex workloads were attempted (databases and distributed object
> store) the performance was disappointing.
>
> If the SSD is 85% full that will not help either (also look at the expected
> lifetime of these EVO's - not that great for a server)!
>
> One thing worth trying is messing about with the IO scheduler: if you are
> using noop, then try deadline (like I said crappy firmware)...
>
> Realistically, I'd recommend getting an enterprise/DC SSD (put the EVO in
> your workstation, it will be quite nice there)!
>
> Cheers
> Mark

Сообщение: Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case
Сообщение: Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case