Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL - DWH

От Mohinder Raina
Тема Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL - DWH
Дата
RE: Oracle to PostgreSQL - DWH
Список pgsql-admin
I am a solution architect and worked on an oracle to postgres project almost 10 years ago. This was a 9 TB oracle 10 to postgres 9.0, Community postgres wasn't a viable option and client leaned on to enterprisedb postgres because of pl/sql, table partitioning, optimizer hints and database links compatibility. They also got some assessment done before I jumped on this project. Believe me, with the help of streaming replication, read scaling wasn't an issue and with the help of pgpool reads were load balanced to standby servers. Table Partitiong and Partial Indexes were quite helpful in query optimization. Postgres required lots of parameter tuning and table level optimization(read about vacuuming and mvcc in postgres)
When you are moving out of oracle the first thought is "how much do I save not today but for the lifespan of an application" and then you think about how database landscape is changing which motivates you to look into databases beyong oracle. Today Postgres open source or any other fork of postgres(https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_derived_databases) for sure can handle DWH workloads provided it is tuned for read and designed to be scalable.
The project I designed was a success.

Some of old Pain Points my client had:
Storage - No control or Quotas
Connections - Hundreds of idle connections which needs watch and cleanup
BLOBS, Unicode Data, Date Values, NULLs, Type Cast
No Incremental Backup - Today there is pgbackrest or enterprisedb backup tool
No reliable HA tool for new 9.0 streaming standby failover - Today there is repmgr, partoni, stolon, pgpool, enterprisedb failover and many more

These points are just based on my experience. By the way I am retired now and I am not related to or work for any postgres community or company.