exponentia​l performanc​e decrease, problem with version postgres + RHEL?

От John Nash
Тема exponentia​l performanc​e decrease, problem with version postgres + RHEL?
Дата
RE: [PERFORM] exponentia​l performanc​e decrease, problem with version postgres + RHEL?  ("Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hello everybody,

We have being doing some testing with an ISD transaction and we had
some problems that we posted here.

The answers we got were very kind and useful but we couldn't solve the problem.

We have doing some investigations after this and we are thinking if is
it possible that OS has something to do with this issue. I mean, we
have two hosts, both of them with OS = Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
release 6.2 (Santiago)

But when doing "select * from version()" on the postgres shell we obtain:

sessions=# select * from version();
                                                   version
 PostgreSQL 9.1.3 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC)
4.4.6 20110731 (Red Hat 4.4.6-3), 64-bit
(1 row)

We don't understand why in here it's written "(Red Hat 4.4.6-3)".

Is it possible that we have installed a postgres' version that it's
not perfect for the OS?

But if this is a problem, why are we obtaining a normal perform on a
host and an exponential performance decrease on another?

And how can we obtain a normal performance when launching the program
which does the queries from another host (remote url) but when
launching it in the same host we obtain this decrease on the
performance?

Any idea would be great!

Thanks very much!!!!

Useful data:

name           |
current_setting

--------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
 version                  | PostgreSQL 9.1.3 on
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.4.6 20110731 (Red
Hat
 4.4.6-3), 64-bit
 archive_mode             | off
 client_encoding          | UTF8
 fsync                    | on
 lc_collate               | en_US.UTF-8
 lc_ctype                 | en_US.UTF-8
 listen_addresses         | *
 log_directory            | pg_log
 log_filename             | postgresql-%a.log
 log_rotation_age         | 1d
 log_rotation_size        | 0
 log_truncate_on_rotation | on
 logging_collector        | on
 max_connections          | 100
 max_stack_depth          | 2MB
 port                     | 50008
 server_encoding          | UTF8
 shared_buffers           | 32MB
 synchronous_commit       | on
 TimeZone                 | Europe/Madrid
 wal_buffers              | 64kB
 wal_sync_method          | fsync
(22 rows)