Re: Why so slow?

От Ants Aasma
Тема Re: Why so slow?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Feb 17, 2012 8:35 PM, "Alessandro Gagliardi" <alessandro@path.com> wrote:
> Here is the EXPLAIN: http://explain.depesz.com/s/ley
>
> I'm using PostgreSQL 9.0.6 on i486-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc-4.4.real (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) 4.4.3, 32-bit
>
> My random_page_cost is 2 and yet it still insists on using Seq Scan on blocks.

As could be inferred from the row counts, it's slow because its joining and then aggregating a quarter of the blocks table. The hash join with its sequential scan is probably the correct choice for that type of join, it's the join itself that should be optimized out. The optimizer doesn't figure out that the join can be turned into a semi join if the output is aggregated with distinct and is from only one of the tables (in this case, because the output is the join key, it can be from either table).

To make the optimizers job easier you can rewrite it as a semi-join explicitly:
SELECT DISTINCT(user_id) FROM seen_its WHERE EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM blocks WHERE blocks.user_id = seen_its.user_id) AND seen_its.created BETWEEN (now()::date - interval '8 days')::timestamp AND now()::date::timestamp

--
Ants Aasma