Autovacuum Issue

От J Ramesh Kumar
Тема Autovacuum Issue
Дата
Re: Autovacuum Issue  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: Autovacuum Issue  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

My application is performing 1600 inserts per second and 7 updates per second. The updates occurred only in a small table which has only 6 integer columns. The inserts occurred in all other daily tables. My application creates around 75 tables per day. No updates/deletes occurred in those 75 daily tables (only inserts and drop tables if older than 40 days). Since only inserts in the daily tables, I disabled autovacuum in the conf file and I can see it is off stat using show command.

sasdb=# show "autovacuum";
 autovacuum
------------
 off
(1 row)

But the autovacuum is running frequently and it impact the performance of my system(high CPU). You can see the autovacuum in the pg_stat_activity.

sasdb=# select current_query from pg_stat_activity where current_query like 'autovacuum%';

       current_query
------------------------------
 autovacuum: VACUUM public.xxxxx
_17_Oct_11 (to prevent wraparound)
 autovacuum: VACUUM public.
xxxxx_17_Oct_11 (to prevent wraparound)
 autovacuum: VACUUM public.
xxxxx_17_Oct_11 (to prevent wraparound)
(3 rows)

Why the autovacuum is running even though, I disabled ? Am I miss anything ?

And also please share your views on my decision about disable autovacuum for my application. I am planning to run vacuum command daily on that small table which has frequent updates.

Thanks,
Ramesh