Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks

От Jeff
Тема Re: understanding postgres issues/bottlenecks
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Jan 11, 2009, at 9:43 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> Not to mention the #1 cause of server faults in my experience: OS
>> kernel bug causes a crash.  Battery backup doesn't help you much
>> there.

Not that long ago (a month or so) we ran into a problem where hpacucli
(Utility for configuring/inspecting/etc HP smartarray controllers)
would tickle the cciss driver in such a way that it would  cause a
kernel panic. KABLAMMO (No data loss! weeeee!).   The box had run for
a long time without crashes, but it seems that when we added more
disks and started the array building the new logical drive some
magical things happened.

Bugs happen.  The [bad word] of it is catching the culprit with its
fingers in the cookie jar.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.stuarthamm.net/