Re: Databases Vs. Schemas

От Adam Ruth
Тема Re: Databases Vs. Schemas
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mar 23, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Subbiah, Stalin wrote:

>> And we also created rules to allow update, delete, and insert on those
>> views so that they looked like tables.  The reason we did this is
>> because we ran into issues with too many open files during pg_dump
>> when
>> we had thousands of tables instead of about 1 hundred tables and
>> thousands of views.
>
> Is it because you had smaller value set for max. allowable number of
> open
> files descriptor. what was ulimit -a set to ?

It was actually running on OS X and it was a shared memory issue.  We
would have had to recompile the Darwin kernel to get a bigger SHMMAX,
but this solution seemed better since we would possibly be installing
on servers where we wouldn't have that much leeway.  I think that the
view idea works better for a number of other reasons.  For one, I can
do a query on the base table and see all of the rows for all of the
schemas at once, that has proven quite useful.