Share Data between PostgreSQL and Oracle

От David Wagoner
Тема Share Data between PostgreSQL and Oracle
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Anyone have experience doing this?  I would like to hear your tips and experiences.

Here's our situation.  We have an Oracle DB on Sun Solaris 8 and a PostgreSQL DB on Linux (RH 7.3) that we need to share data between, specifically from PostgreSQL to Oracle.  I want to experiment with Oracle's Generic Connectivity via ODBC connection.  The advantage here seems to be DB-to-DB connection, ability to use Oracle SQL and tools, etc.  Limitations might be network performance.

An alternative is to produce flat files from PostgreSQL, FTP them to Oracle server, and SQL*Load them into Oracle.  Not a real-time solution, but load performance is usually very good with SQL*Loader.

Best regards,

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator
Arsenal Digital Solutions