Re: Partitioning / Clustering

От Alex Stapleton
Тема Re: Partitioning / Clustering
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 10 May 2005, at 16:02, Adam Haberlach wrote:

> I think that perhaps he was trying to avoid having to buy "Big
> Iron" at all.

You would be right. Although we are not against paying a bit more
than $300 for a server ;)

> With all the Opteron v. Xeon around here, and talk of $30,000
> machines,
> perhaps it would be worth exploring the option of buying 10 cheapass
> machines for $300 each.  At the moment, that $300 buys you, from
> Dell, a
> 2.5Ghz Pentium 4 w/ 256mb of RAM and a 40Gb hard drive and gigabit
> ethernet.
> The aggregate CPU and bandwidth is pretty stupendous, but not as
> easy to
> harness as a single machine.

<snip>

> Yes, clustering solutions can distribute the data, and can even do
> it on a
> per-table basis in some cases.  This still leaves it up to the
> application's
> logic to handle reunification of the data.

If your going to be programming that sort of logic into your API in
the beginning, it's not too much more work to add basic replication,
load balancing and partitioning into it either. But the DB should be
able to do it for you, adding that stuff in later is often more
difficult and less likely to get done.

> Ideas:
>     1. Create a table/storage type that consists of a select statement
> on another machine.  While I don't think the current executor is
> capable of
> working on multiple nodes of an execution tree at the same time, it
> would be
> great if it could offload a select of tuples from a remote table to an
> entirely different server and merge the resulting data into the
> current
> execution.  I believe MySQL has this, and Oracle may implement it
> in another
> way.

MySQL sort of has this, it's not as good as Oracle's though.
Apparently there is a much better version of it in 5.1 though, that
should make it to stable sometime next year I imagine.

>     2. There is no #2 at this time, but I'm sure one can be
> hypothesized.

I would of thought a particularly smart version of pg_pool could do
it. It could partition data to different servers if it knew which
columns to key by on each table.

> ...Google and other companies have definitely proved that one can
> harness
> huge clusters of cheap hardware.  It can't be _that_ hard, can it.  :)

I shudder to think how much the "Big Iron" equivalent of a google
data-center would cost.