Re: Question on placing database on a network attached

От Tomeh, Husam
Тема Re: Question on placing database on a network attached
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
We're using similar technique but using SAN instead of NAS. The current
approach is shutting down the source Postgres database, clone or snap it
to the target server and then start the database back up. On Oracle, I
never had to shut down the source, instead I issue alter tablespace
begin backup, snap, and alter tablespace end backup to ensure a
consistent image. These being/end backup commands, were originally there
to place the database in state that you can perform a hot backup while
the database is up and running. I think PostgreSQL has similar commands
for hot backup - it will be interesting to know if anyone used them to
perform a snap or clone while the source is up and running and not
compromising database consistency.

--
 Husam