Need more IOPS? This should get you drooling... (5xnvme drives)

От Graeme B. Bell
Тема Need more IOPS? This should get you drooling... (5xnvme drives)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
I previously mentioned on the list that nvme drives are going to be a very big thing this year for DB performance.

This video shows what happens if you get an 'enthusiast'-class motherboard and 5 of the 400GB intel 750 drives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hE8Vg1qPSw

Total transfer speed: 10.3  GB/second.
Total IOPS: 2 million  (!)

+ nice power loss protection (Intel)
+ lower latency too    -    about 20ms vs 100ms for SATA3
(http://www.anandtech.com/show/7843/testing-sata-express-with-asus/4)
+ substantially lower CPU use per I/O
(http://www.anandtech.com/show/8104/intel-ssd-dc-p3700-review-the-pcie-ssd-transition-begins-with-nvme/5)

You're probably wondering 'how much' though?
$400 per drive! Peanuts.

Assuming for the moment you're working in RAID0 or with tablespaces, and just want raw speed:
$2400 total for 2 TB of storage, including a good quality motherboard, with 2 million battery backed IOPS and
10GB/secondbulk transfers.

These drives are going to utterly wreck the profit margins on high-end DB hardware.

Graeme Bell

p.s. No, I don't have shares in Intel, but maybe I should...