Re: What is the best way to create Primary Key on a large table in Postgresql 9.5?

Hi Samed,

Thanks for the response.

But my question is, I have to add a new id column to the existing table, populate the data and then convert that column into primary key column. I am running the following command but its taking forever.

ALTER TABLE tblclinchecklog ADD COLUMN id serial primary key;

Is there a better way? Like

1>     Add column

2>     Create sequence

3>     Update the table