Re: SQL and function reference?

От Jason Dixon
Тема Re: SQL and function reference?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Jan 24, 2005, at 8:39 PM, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> Hey, everyone:

Hi Rodolfo.  Funny how we keep running into each other.  :)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/

> In general, could someone point me to a good reference for SQL and
> PostgreSQL commands? Immediately after subbing to this list, for
> example, I saw the "extracting date from timestamp" thread which
> mentions the date_trunc() function. This one function does part of what
> I'd like to do in one query (thanks!) but I had not found it before.
> Where can I find either a reference or a tutorial to SQL in general and
> to this kind of functions?

The postgres manuals are very comprehensive but aren't tailored to SQL
beginners.  However, the development team strives for compliance with
the SQL standards, so you should be ok with a good SQL
(non-db-specific) book.  I picked up Bruce Momjian's PostgreSQL book
some time ago.  While much of it is dated with regards to 7.4 and 8.0,
it is still a good introduction to basic postgres methodologies.

> I'll also shoot off a quick three questions if y'all don't mind, in
> separate threads to make life easy on the archives.

Bzzzt!  Sorry, you've exceeded your daily quota.  You will be kicked.
;-)

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting