Re: poor performance of db?

От SpaceBallOne
Тема Re: poor performance of db?
Список pgsql-performance

Dave
space_ball_one@hotmail.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Arbash Meinel" <john@arbash-meinel.com>
To: "SpaceBallOne" <space_ball_one@hotmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] poor performance of db?

SpaceBallOne wrote:

> I tried setting up 10-15 indexes yesterday, but couldn't see they were
> doing anything. I have since deleted them (on the premise that I
> didn't have a clue what I was doing).

Did you VACUUM ANALYZE after you created the indexes? It really depends
on how many rows you need vs how many rows are in the table. If you are
trying to show everything in the tables, then it won't help.

I can tell that your query is returning 353 rows.  How many rows total
do you have? I think the rule is that indexes help when you need < 10%
of your data.

 From what I can see, it looks like all of the *_no columns, and *_id
columns (which are basically your keys), would be helped by having an
index on them.

> I'm not actually running any keys in this database... would that be a
> simpler way of running my queries? I only learnt postgres / unix from
> scratch a year ago so my db setup and queries is probably pretty
> messy    :)

I would probably think that you would want a "primary key" on every
table, and this would be your column for references. This way you can
get referential integrity, *and* it automatically creates an index.

For instance, the job table could be:

create table job (
    id serial primary key,
    surveyor_id integer references surveyor(id),
    draftor_id integer references draftor(id),
);

Then your other tables would also need an id field. I can't say much
more without looking deeper, but from the looks of it, all of your "_no"
and "_id" references should probably be referencing a primary key on the
other table. Personally, I always name it "id" and "_id", but if "_no"
means something to you, then you certainly could keep it.

If these entries are not unique, then probably your database isn't
properly normalized.
John
=:->