Re: REINDEX takes half a day (and still not complete!)

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: REINDEX takes half a day (and still not complete!)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose that's what I am going to do on a periodic basis from now
> on. There is a lot of DELETE/UPDATE activity. But I wonder if the
> vacuum stuff really should do something that's similar in function?
> What do the high-end enterprise folks do -- surely they can't be
> dumping/restoring every quarter or so....or are they?

The pg_reorg tool (google it) can rebuild a live table rebuilds
without taking major locks.  It's better to try an engineer your
database so that you have enough spare i/o to manage 1-2 continuously
running vacuums, but if things get really out of whack it's there.

merlin