Re: unique across two tables

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: unique across two tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 8:34 AM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Your statement is utterly false simply by virtue of the documentation.
>

> Inserts never propagate to other tables in a hierarchy
>
> Indexes/Constraints only apply to individual tables
>

> Since inserts do not propagate the base table never sees the records and
> thus the index on the base table cannot enforce uniqueness.
>

> Other caveats and restrictions to the current inheritance implementation can
> be found in section 5.8 (Inheritance) of the documentation.  It is in the
> “Data Definition” chapter.

yeah -- postgresql table inheritance is completely useless for doing
what most people instinctively want it to do...it's a half implemented
kludge that dates back forever.  however, it does have a few quirky
neat uses and also underpins the table inheritance feature so we're
stuck with the current behavior.

merlin