Re: canceling a delete

От Campbell, Lance
Тема Re: canceling a delete
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
PostgreSQL 9.5.2

Thanks.

This was the input/output on the screen:

username=# delete from some_table;
^CCancel request sent
ERROR:  canceling statement due to user request

This was the output in the PostgreSQL log:

user::2016-05-19 13:37:16 CDT STATEMENT:  delete from some_table;
user::2016-05-19 13:40:38 CDT ERROR:  canceling statement due to user request
user::2016-05-19 13:40:38 CDT CONTEXT:  while deleting tuple (54598,61) in relation "some_table"

Thanks again!

Lance

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Grittner [mailto:kgrittn@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:55 PM
To: Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] canceling a delete

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu> wrote:
> PostgreSQL 9.5.x

It is always best to show the full version number, just in case one of the bugs fixed in a minor release could matter
forthe issue at hand.

(In this case I don't know of any, but there is not much point checking for sure when I can only guess at what you are
running.)

> Delete from some_table;
>
> I realized that I should have had a where clause.  So I canceled the
> delete with CTRL-C.  PostgreSQL said to canceled the delete.

Again, copy/paste of what you saw would allow a response with higher confidence.

> Did PostgreSQL delete any records?

Not if it processed the Ctrl+C before the command completed normally.
Either all rows in the table should be gone or the DELETE had no effect.

Note that now would be a horrible time to suffer database corruption.
If, for example, you needed to run pg_resetxlog right now, you might lose a lot of those rows.  Tread carefully.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com