Re: Table symbolic link

От Campbell, Lance
Тема Re: Table symbolic link
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

I did not even think about a table view.  I use them very rarely.  I also don’t do update, insert or delete on the view I have.

Thanks a lot.  That was really helpful.

Lance

From: Steve Crawford [mailto:scrawford@pinpointresearch.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:40 AM
To: Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>
Cc: Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu>; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Table symbolic link

As others mentioned, you can create a view. But depending on they types of updates you do, other views that already exist on that table, triggers, and the version of PostgreSQL among other issues it may not be a viable option.

Cheers,

Steve

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

On 05/18/2016 10:31 AM, Campbell, Lance wrote:
> The better strategy would be to rename the table to the new name and add
> a symbolic table that link to the new table name.  Then as I make
> changes to each application I can point them to the new name.  Maybe in
> a year I could delete the symbolic table name.
>
> Is this possible?  I have not seen a symbolic table name feature but I
> thought I would ask.

See CREATE VIEW:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/sql-createview.html

HTH,