Re: Is there a reason _not_ to vacuum continuously?

От Oliver Scheit
Тема Re: Is there a reason _not_ to vacuum continuously?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
>> > It's part of postgresql 7.3.  Just get it from the 7.3
>> > contrib dir - it works fine with 7.2
>> That's nice to hear. Thanx for that info.

> That's alright - cron job it for once a month - that's what
> I do.  Basically the problem is that in certain cases
> (monotonically increasing serial indexes) for instance,
> PosgreSQL < 7.4 is unable to fully reclaim all the
> space after a page split.  This means that your indexes
> just gradually grow really large.

Uhm, I'm unable to find reindexdb. I have postgres 7.3.4
on another server, but there's no reindexdb. Can you point
me to the right direction?

Here's what's installed on that machine:
# rpm -qa|grep postgres
postgresql-perl-7.2.3-5.73
postgresql-libs-7.3.4-2PGDG
postgresql-pl-7.3.4-2PGDG
postgresql-7.3.4-2PGDG
postgresql-contrib-7.3.4-2PGDG
postgresql-server-7.3.4-2PGDG

> Yeah - 7.4 beta3 will be out very shortly, you'll probably
> have to wait a month or so for a final 7.4 release.

Old version is rockstable and quite fast, so no problem with
that.

> Even then, ugprading postgresql is always a pain in the neck.

Upgrading to 7.3.4 was quite easy here. dumped the dbs,
uninstalled 7.2, installed 7.3 and let it read the dump. done.

regards,
Oli