Re: REINDEX takes half a day (and still not complete!)

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: REINDEX takes half a day (and still not complete!)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a large table but not as large as the kind of numbers that get
> discussed on this list. It has 125 million rows.
>
> REINDEXing the table takes half a day, and it's still not finished.
>
> To write this post I did "SELECT COUNT(*)", and here's the output -- so long!
>
>    select count(*) from links;
>       count
>    -----------
>     125418191
>    (1 row)
>
>    Time: 1270405.373 ms
>
> That's 1270 seconds!
>
> I suppose the vaccuum analyze is not doing its job? As you can see
> from settings below, I have autovacuum set to ON, and there's also a
> cronjob every 10 hours to do a manual vacuum analyze on this table,
> which is largest.
>
> PG is version 8.2.9.
>
> Any thoughts on what I can do to improve performance!?
>
> Below are my settings.
>

> max_connections              = 300
> shared_buffers               = 500MB
> effective_cache_size         = 1GB
> max_fsm_relations            = 1500
> max_fsm_pages                = 950000
>
> work_mem                     = 100MB
> temp_buffers                 = 4096
> authentication_timeout       = 10s
> ssl                          = off
> checkpoint_warning           = 3600
> random_page_cost             = 1
>
> autovacuum                   = on
> autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 20
>
> vacuum_cost_delay            = 20
> vacuum_cost_limit            = 600
>
> autovacuum_naptime           = 10
> stats_start_collector        = on
> stats_row_level              = on
> autovacuum_vacuum_threshold  = 75
> autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 25
> autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor  = 0.02
> autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor   = 0.01
>
> wal_buffers                  = 64
> checkpoint_segments          = 128
> checkpoint_timeout           = 900
> fsync                        = on
> maintenance_work_mem         = 512MB

how much memory do you have? you might want to consider raising
maintenance_work_mem to 1GB.  Are other things going on in the
database while you are rebuilding your indexes?  Is it possible you
are blocked waiting on a lock for a while?

How much index data is there?  Can we see the table definition along
with create index statements?

merlin